Friday, February 3, 2012

Rotary Volunteers Clear Ice at Aa-broeken

Friday, 3-February-2012 - Veghel - At home, I enjoyed two plates of soup. My clothes were hanging to dry. It was 1600, and I was just getting out of the shower when Bas van Kempen (Marcel's son) called. Volunteers were meeting at 1630 to clear snow--bring your shovel. I was going to have dinner with my volleyball team at 1800, and then we were going to see Di-rect at the Markant in Uden. I didn't want to let my teammates down, but I trusted they would understand when I called to say that I was on a mission. I put on my gear and headed for the Aa-broeken. Big flakes were still coming down. I joined Maureen and Willem to help clear a 400 meter oval track that was wide enough to skate on. There were only 10 volunteers--we could have used a hundred. Marcel marked an inside oval about four meters from our track. Bas and his (field) hockey teammates would be coming later after practice to widen what we had started. I got home at 2030, just in time to clear my own driveway. I could hardly move. Eight hours on skates was more than enough for one day. Pics (18)

No comments: