Sunday, September 2, 2007

50 Kilometers at Beneden-Leeuwen

Sunday, 2-September-2007 - Beneden-Leeuwen, NL - Got up at 0630 to get ready. The weather radar showed a rain cloud moving quickly and heading in the direction of our tour. Met Tonnie at the carpool meeting place around 0830. We arrived at the sporthall around 0915. There we met Ronald, Wim, Willem and Maureen. The start was at 1000. It started to rain right before we headed over to the starting point. Met Karen from last year's tour. The first 10 km took the energy right out of me--skating right into the wind. Got passed by a long boarder and by Erik, a wheelchair athlete. At the first aid post in Maasbommel, I got my toe bandaged. I took a lift with the safety vehicle to get closer to the skaters in front of me. Around the 20 km point, I took another lift. Erik took a spil right in front of us in a left-hand turn going up the dike. I got out of the truck and started skating. Around the halfway point at the dike monument, I decided to quit. My back was hurting, and I just didn't have any energy left. While I was waiting, Erik came by. I again got in the truck, but only for a few minutes. After the safety crew said they'd be following Erik al the way to the finish, I knew I had a new mission to complete. I got out and stayed with Erik the rest of the way. Well done, Erik! You're a true champion.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.weiss.planet/20070902_zo_benedenLeeuwen

No comments: