Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dale Recovering from Snowboard Injury

Saturday, 28-Apr 2007- VEGHEL - Sorry I haven't written for a while; I've been out of action, recovering from a snowboard injury on 29-Mar. I didn’t want to worry you, but now it’s time to get my friends farther away from Veghel up to speed. I called my Mom from the hospital, so she and my brothers and sister knew right away. I started back to work this past Wed and Fri on a limited schedule I got from our company doctor (see below). Last Saturday jogged for 2km. Rode bicycle last Tues: Veghel-Erp-Keldonk-Veghel—14 km. Haven’t been on skates yet. Had a CCT scan on 18-apr-2007. My neurologist her in Veghel said everything's okay. I can gradually resume normal activities. I've been taking it easy since I got back from Austria. That's hard to do with the warm summer weather we're having now. Marij and Rosan are taking good care of me. Until last week, I had a bed in the living room, and the head nurse (Marij) said not to spend any time a the PC--also hard to do. I got lots of e-mails, cards, and visits from friends here: ski vacation, volleyball, skaters. I returned home on 3-Apr in an ambulance from a ski vacation in Austria. I got a concussion on 29-Mar while snowboarding (without a helmet). I was taken to the nearest hospital (St Johann—15 min from Waidring, our ski resort) with a tracked snow grader, mountain gondola, and
ambulance. The first CCT scan showed bleeding between the outer protective covering and the left frontal lobe (subdural hemorrhage). I needed to remain in a hospital, that could operate if needed, for observation for two or three days. Within 15 min, I was put on an emergency helicopter and flown to the University Hospital in Innsbruck (100 km away). A delegation from our skiing vacation group (52 men and women), Chris (my son) and a very good vriend, Guillaume, came to visit me in the hospital that evening. The next day I had a second CCT scan. This showed that the blood had receded--the danger had passed. The entire time in Austria, I had dear angels looking over me--I'm really thankful for that. Dale’s Limited work schedule week days x hrs weekday 17 2 x 4 W F 18 3 x 4 M W F 19 3 x 4 M W F 20 5 x 4 M T W TH F 21 5 x 4 M T W TH F 22 5 x 6 M T W TH F 23 5 x 8 M T W TH F Here are the photos of my ski vacation. Included are pics at the hospital in Innsbruck. How quickly a vacation can change into something else. Fortunately, I got a second chance to wear a helmet. I also got a second chance for a lot of other things.

No comments: